Dr. Emmanuel Baah, Head of Unit.
The Academic Quality Assurance Unit (AQAU) of Takoradi Polytechnic was set up during the 2006/2007 academic year to ensure internal quality of the Polytechnic’s educational programmes and services before the intervention of external bodies such as the National Accreditation Board (NAB) and National Board for Professional and Technician Examinations (NABPTEX).
The Unit is responsible, on behalf of the Polytechnic for the development of policies and practices for the assurance of quality, standards and for the enhancement of the quality of teaching and learning.
Our Vision is to ensure the highest quality of the educational products and services offered by the Polytechnic through periodic assessment and evaluation.
Our Mission is to develop, refine and continuously apply internal quality enhancement mechanisms systemically across all programmes and services offered by the Polytechnic to students and staff.
Our objectives are to;
- Safeguard and improve the academic standards and quality of education at the Polytechnic.
- Ensure the integrity of the academic awards of the Polytechnic.
- Develop and sustain a culture of quality seeking and quality assurance among members of the Polytechnic.
We uphold the following core values; Quality, Efficiency, Relevance and Integrity
The Unit uses two (2) main strategies in executing its activities namely;
- Sensitization of all stakeholders on Quality Assurance (QA) issues.
- Establish quality desks to facilitate implementation of QA practices at all levels.
- Preparation of Unit-Specific performance standards.
- Students satisfaction surveys
- Employer satisfaction survey
- Internal programmes reviews etc.
Functions of AQAU
Major Functions and duties of the Unit include but not limited to the following:
1. Student Satisfaction Surveys/ Students’ Assessment of Courses and Teaching: The Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) regularly and systematically organise student satisfaction surveys. These surveys aim at giving the students an opportunity to provide feedback on their experience of individual courses and teaching programmes as a whole. In carrying out this task, the QAU design appropriate tools for collecting views, coordinating data collection activities and analysing the results. Capturing of student experiences and opinions are done by the use of questionnaires, structured interviews or any other appropriate methods. The AQAU eventually disseminate the survey results to teaching units and staff and coordinate the formulation and implementation of strategies to improve on problem areas revealed by the evaluation results.
2. Course Assessment: The Unit establishes benchmarks and parameters for course assessment for every department to ensure that courses are updated regularly to meet the aims and objectives of the Polytechnic.
3. Accreditation: The Unit ensures that all documents and facilities are up to date for program accreditation purposes.
4. Supervision, assessment and validation: analysis of all QA reports (students' course evaluations, external examiner's reports, external audit reports, etc) and identification of issues arising from them for the attention of the Management at Departmental, School and Polytechnic levels.
5. Orientation of newly appointed lecturers, Heads of Departments/Units, Deans etc.
6. Monitoring of Beginning of lectures at the various campuses of the Polytechnic.
7. Vetting of proposals for new programs to National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE) and National Accreditation Board (NAB) for approval and accreditation respectively.
8. Monitoring of the writing of Examinations.
9. Checking of results.
10. Organize workshops/seminars for staff and students.
Achievements in the Year
1. Formulated Quality Assurance Policy
2. Students’ Appraisal of Courses and Teaching covered almost every teaching staff.
3. Establishment of Quality Assurance Desks in all Departments, Units and Sections of the Polytechnic.
4. Completed and tested an online platform for Students’ Appraisal of Courses and Teaching known as “e-appraisal”
5. Organised a workshop for the Faculty Members on the theme “Pedagogy: the Tertiary Classroom in the 21st Century”.
6. Organised a workshop for the Students on the theme “The Role of Students in Ensuring Quality in the Higher Education Institution”.