SCHOOL OF APPLIED ARTS
TEXTILE DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
SHORT COURSE ON TRADITIONAL GHANAIAN COTTAGE TEXTILES AND CRAF
1. PROGRAMME TITLE: TRADITIONAL GHANAIAN COTTAGE TEXTILES AND CRAFT
2. BACKGROUND AND RATIONALE
In recent times Nations that have developed are those whose development have been tied around Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET).The main pillar of TVET programme emphasizes among others the need to help the Ghanaian youth to be able to use the knowledge derived from TVET to transform and improve his/her quality of life and those of their family.
In this regard, care has been taken to prepare this competency-based programme taking cognizance of the resources at the disposal of the Polytechnic while ensuring also that the aims and objectives of the education reforms are not infringed upon.
For some years now the Ghanaian textile industry has witnessed unfair competition from developed countries around us. This has resulted in the decline of the number of Textile industries. This has been a major concern to most industrial textile setups. However traditional textile practices and cottage industries must be developed to augment the fabric and textile needs of Ghanaians. The study of this traditional Ghanaian textiles and craft will open job avenues for majority of the unemployed youth in Ghana. It is also a sure way to preserve and protect the concepts and production of indigenous textiles in Ghana.
3. OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
· To focus on practical knowledge, skill and attitudes with emphasis on Ghanaian traditional textile practices
· To equip the youth with employable competencies for immediate employment.
· To provide specialized competencies which are directly relevant to cottage textile industries in which students are currently working or in which they intend to seek employment
4. TARGET GROUP
The following categories of applicants may be admitted to the programme
· Applicants with WASSCE certificate or Art background
· Applicants with NVTI certificate
· Applicants with ICCESS
· Foreign Nationals interested in Traditional Ghanaian Textiles
· Applicants with Technician or craft certificates
· Applicants from youth Employment groups and associations
5. CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
· Textile Designers
· Traditional weavers(Kente and batakari production)
· Batik and Tie –Dye producers
· Set up small scale Textile Industry
· Trainer of individuals, groups and associations
· The duration to achieve the desired competencies in Ghanaian cottage textile programme shall be three (3) months. However a maximum period of four (4) months is allowed for completion
7. SUMMARY OF COURSES FOR THE PROGRAMME
I. Module 1 - TRADITIONAL STUDIES
II. Module 2 –TRADITIONAL WEAVING
III. Module 3 -DESIGN AND COLOUR
IV. Module 4 -DYEING AND PRINTING
V. Module 5- ENTREPRENEURIAL STUDIES
8. AWARDS AND CERTIFICATION
All students who obtain 50% pass in all the courses by the end of the programme shall be awarded with a competency certificate by the Takoradi Polytechnic. Students who do not obtain the 50% pass mark by the end of the programme shall be considered not competent, and shall be given further training (at a cost) to ensure that they achieve competency.